National collections now available in the Global Brand Database
As from April 27, 2012, WIPO WIPO Global Brand Database includes three national collections of the following participating offices:
The inclusion of the data collections of national registries marks a new milestone which was made possible by cooperation and support from the three intellectual property (trademark) offices that kindly agreed to participate in the project of the Global Brand Database.
In March 2011, WIPO started to provide brand-related Intellectual Property (IP) knowledge content to users of IP systems in the context of developing IP infrastructure. The Global Brand Database is one of public goods of IP knowledge and initially included the following content with updates since then;
- international trademarks registered under the Madrid system for the international registration of marks;
- appellations of origin registered under the Lisbon system for the international registration of appellations of origin; and
- armorial bearings, flags and other state emblems and the names, abbreviations and emblems of intergovernmental organizations protected under Article 6ter of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property.
WIPO hopes that the services of global brand data on the Internet, now strengthened by the inclusion of national data collections, will further contribute to meeting the needs of the brand owners while balancing out the interests of competitors and the general public and consumers.
The Global Brand Database includes powerful features such as:
- search by description of images;
- auto-suggestion of potential matching terms;
- fuzzy and phonetic term matching;
- summaries of matching documents in multiple categories, including graphical representation of countries of origin and designations; as well as
- detailed result list or quick list of brands.